Good morning! It’s starting out to be a beautiful Thursday today! This may call for another long walk :)
As promised, here is the recipe for the berry banana bread I made yesterday. The original recipe comes from the blog Fat Free Vegan Kitchen by Susan Voisin. I used the original recipe as a guideline, but I substituted some ingredients and added others. This recipe is also vegan and oil-free!
Berry Banana Bread
- 3 large over-ripe bananas
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup vanilla soy milk or apple sauce (I used Almond Breeze almond coconut milk)– These are your egg substitutes
- 1/2 cup agave nectar (I used maple syrup)
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour or regular whole wheat flour (I used unbleached cake flour)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup blueberries (I used 1/2 cup frozen blueberries and 1/2 cup frozen raspberries)
- I also added 1/2 cup rolled oats
Prep time- 1o minutes
Cooking time- 50 minutes
Total time- 60 minutes
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray or wipe a 9×5-inch loaf pan with oil
2) Mix the soymilk (or almond coconut milk ;) ) with 1 tablespoon lemon juice and let it stand until it curdles. If using applesauce, skip this step and add the lemon juice to the bananas.
3) In a large bowl, mash the bananas and add the remaining lemon juice, soymilk, and agave nectar (or maple syrup). Stir well to combine. In a separate bowl, combine the flour (and oats if using them), baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture, and stir just until mixture is well-combined (do not overmix). Fold in the blueberries (and/or raspberries).
4) Spready the mixture evenly in the prepared pan and bake until a knife or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50-60 minutes. Allow to cool before cutting and serving.
(Thanks to Susan for a great recipe!)